5.22.2012

So from here I think it is a vital point to reflect on my current position and define what I am intending to do within this site.

Currently I have a form and some direction of where I want to go yet I still feel it does not respond perfectly to he overall integration of memories from within the site. Howard Smith Wharves is a sensitive area where many people have strong memories which will limit any commercial integration into the area. It would be necessary to look at ways of intergrating commercial, public and private amenities into the site using sensitive design. Recently I saw a lecture at the 2012 National Arch. Conference by Rachel Neeson. She talked about one her recent projects, Prince Alfred Park and Public Pool.


Prince Alfred park is located in central Sydney, therefore it was important to maintain the vital green landscape present in the site. This use of folding plates creates an integrated system that is unobtrusive to the overall rolling landscape. 

What Neeson creates with her project is an "unobtrusive public interaction within a very sensitive site". 

So I use this project as an exemplar for ways to understand how we can still enhance a persons experience within a site where intrusive objects are greatly disregarded by the public (as seen in the canned development for a hotel within the area http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensland/wharves-decision-awash-with-politics-quirk-20110803-1ib7w.html). 

What I feel is necessary for this site is to incorporate an idea of Hedonistic Sustainability, as Bjarke Ingels refers to it, to enhance the interaction of the people without destroying the purist elements of the site.

So what next then? I feel it is now important for m own development to outlay a set of rules in which I can incorporate throughout my project.

  • The idea must enhance the sites uses
  • The idea must not destroy any previous historical elements.
  • The idea must enhance the users memories, whether personal or site-specific
  • The idea must be unobtrusive.
  • The idea must be a place to develop ideas.


No comments:

Post a Comment